regex man-page confusion

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 18:13:00 GMT 2018

Am 16.09.2018 um 19:59 schrieb Thomas Wolff:
> (Sending this to cygwin-apps as I suspect it to be an installation or
> packaging issue...)

> I observe a confusing discrepancy between Cygwin installations on two
> systems, all with cygwin 2.11.1:
> On one system (both cygwin32 and cygwin64), /usr/share/man has
> man3/regex.3.gz and man3p/regcomp.3p,
> both pages describe functions regcomp, regexec, regerror and regfree,
> but in different format (from man3, it says BSD manual).
> On the other system, none of them exists, nor any other
> /usr/share/man/*/reg* (MANPATH not set). But `man regcomp` nonetheless
> displays a manpage, with those 4 functions and additionally wcs_regcomp
> and wcs_regexec.
> Can anyone resolve this weirdness?
> Thanks, Thomas

regex.3.gz belongs to cygwin-doc package

https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=x86_64%2Fcygwin-doc%2Fcygwin-doc-2.11.1-1&grep=regex.3.gz

regcomp.3p belongs man-pages-posix

https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=x86_64%2Fman-pages-posix%2Fman-pages-posix-2013-a-1&grep=regcomp.3p

I assume one system has both packages and the other not.

As I have not the second installed, for me

$ man regcomp
No manual entry for regcomp

Regards
Marco