regex man-page confusion

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Sun Sep 16 21:57:00 GMT 2018

Am 16.09.2018 um 20:13 schrieb Marco Atzeri:
> Am 16.09.2018 um 19:59 schrieb Thomas Wolff:
>> (Sending this to cygwin-apps as I suspect it to be an installation or
>> packaging issue...)
>
>> I observe a confusing discrepancy between Cygwin installations on two
>> systems, all with cygwin 2.11.1:
>> On one system (both cygwin32 and cygwin64), /usr/share/man has
>> man3/regex.3.gz and man3p/regcomp.3p,
>> both pages describe functions regcomp, regexec, regerror and regfree,
>> but in different format (from man3, it says BSD manual).
>> On the other system, none of them exists, nor any other
>> /usr/share/man/*/reg* (MANPATH not set). But `man regcomp` nonetheless
>> displays a manpage, with those 4 functions and additionally wcs_regcomp
>> and wcs_regexec.
>> Can anyone resolve this weirdness?
>> Thanks, Thomas
>
> regex.3.gz belongs to cygwin-doc package
>
> https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=x86_64%2Fcygwin-doc%2Fcygwin-doc-2.11.1-1&grep=regex.3.gz
>

> regcomp.3p belongs man-pages-posix
>
> https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=x86_64%2Fman-pages-posix%2Fman-pages-posix-2013-a-1&grep=regcomp.3p
>

> I assume one system has both packages and the other not.
>
> As I have not the second installed, for me
>
> $ man regcomp
> No manual entry for regcomp
>
> Regards
> Marco
Thanks; on the system with both packages not installed, man -w regcomp
says nothing (rather than "No manual entry...");
`manpath` reveals /usr/share/man:/cygdrive/c/Windows/SUA/usr/share/man
and in fact, the man page displayed comes from my SUA installation. But
$MANPATH is empty, so what makes cygwin `man` access the SUA man pages???

---