[ITA] python2-wx and related packages for wxPython and wxwidgets

Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty hamishmb@live.co.uk
Thu Apr 23 14:02:44 GMT 2020

Hi all,

I've gotten a more stable build of wxPython 3.0.2 and wxWidgets 3.0.4 to
build now. wxPython is now also built against the version of wxWidgets
that is installed on the system, avoiding ABI mismatch warnings and
strange behaviour/freezes hat I was experiencing before.

The test packages can be downloaded from
https://hamishmb.com/files/cygwin-temp/.

I say "various other packages", because building wxPython also builds
the following packages:

libwx_baseu3.0_0, libwx_gtk3u3.0-devel,  python-wxversion,
libwx_baseu3.0-devel,  python2-wx, libwx_gtk2u3.0_0, python2-wxversion,
libwx_gtk2u3.0-devel,  python-wx3.0, wxWidgets3.0-debuginfo,
libwx_gtk3u3.0_0, python-wx-tools

The build process is a bit strange because wxPython 3.0.2 ships with
wxWidgets 3.0.2 instead of the system version (3.0.4), so my build
script downloads and re-patches the wxWidgets source before proceeding
with the build. As a result of using wxWidgets 3.0.4 instead of 3.0.2,
many patches are no longer needed as they were included upstream.
Removed patches and the reason for removal are listed at the end of this
email. I've probably got some of this wrong, but it does seem to work
well at least :)

I eagerly await feedback - I'm sure there's some stuff I could improve
in this packaging, and I'm excited to soon be maintaining some Cygwin
packages.

Patches removed and the reasons why:

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/wxGTK3.git/plain/wxGTK3-3.0.2-abicheck.patch
- No longer needed as we're now using the same ABI for runtime and build
versions.

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/wxGTK3.git/plain/wxGTK3-3.0.2-upstreamfixes.patch
- No longer needed in new wxwidgets source - already applied.

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/wxGTK3.git/plain/wxGTK3-3.0.2-getbestsize.patch
- No longer needed in new wxwidgets source - already applied.

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/wxGTK3.git/plain/wxGTK3-3.0.2-media-docs.patch?h=f25
- No longer needed in new wxwidgets source - already applied.

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/wxGTK3.git/plain/wxGTK3-3.0.2-size-alloc-fix.patch
- No longer needed in new wxwidgets source - already applied.

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/wxGTK3.git/plain/wxGTK3-3.0.2-font-enumerator-stop.patch
- No longer needed in new wxwidgets source - already applied.

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/wxGTK3.git/plain/wxGTK3-3.0.2-init-from-font.patch:
- No longer needed in new wxwidgets source - already applied.

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/wxGTK3.git/plain/wxGTK3-3.0.2-gtk-show-uri1.patch
- No longer needed in new wxwidgets source - already applied.

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/wxGTK3.git/plain/wxGTK3-3.0.2-draw-elliptic-arc-crash.patch
- No longer needed in new wxwidgets source - already applied.

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/wxGTK3.git/plain/wxGTK3-3.0.2-fix-percent-dnd2.patch
- No longer needed in new wxwidgets source - already applied.

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/wxGTK3.git/plain/wxGTK3-3.0.2-scrolwin-sizing-loop.patch
- No longer needed in new wxwidgets source - already applied.

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/wxGTK3.git/plain/wxGTK3-3.0.2-background-color.patch?h=f25
- No longer needed in new wxwidgets source - already applied.

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/wxGTK3.git/plain/wxGTK3-3.0.2-paint-clipping-region.patch?h=f25
- No longer needed in new wxwidgets source - already applied.

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/wxGTK3.git/plain/wxGTK3-3.0.2-wxpgchoicesdata-protected-destructor.patch?h=f25
- No longer needed in new wxwidgets source - already applied.

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/wxGTK3.git/plain/wxGTK3-3.0.2-check-radio-button-rendering.patch?h=f25
- No longer needed in new wxwidgets source - already applied.

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/wxGTK3.git/plain/wxGTK3-3.0.2-blank-menubar-toolbar.patch?h=f25
- No longer needed in new wxwidgets source - already applied.

The few remaining wxGTK* patches:
- No longer apply without error and don't seem to be needed with the
newer wxwidgets version.

Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty