[ITA] python2-wx and related packages for wxPython and wxwidgets

Yaakov Selkowitz yselkowitz@cygwin.com
Thu Apr 23 16:08:18 GMT 2020

On Thu, 2020-04-23 at 16:16 +0100, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty wrote:
> Thanks for your feedback. I wasn't expecting this to be accepted, it's
> only my first try after all :)

Please keep all discussion on list.

> > I do not recommend building both the C++ libraries and Python bindings
> > from the same source package, for several reasons:
> >
> > * Python bindings need to be updated/rebuilt with each new version of
> > Python, which occurs much more frequently than updated versions of
> > wxWidgets.  Keeping them separate minimizes the rebuild times.
> >
> > * wxPython and wxWidgets versions don't always match, as you mentioned
> > above.  Building them separately avoids jumping through those sort of
> > hoops.
> >
> > * wxPython 3 is obsolete anyway, with current support only for version
> > 4 (which is still for wxWidgets 3), so this scheme won't carry forward
> > anyway.
> >
> > Since the standalone wxWidgets3.0 package is already at 3.0.4, all you
> > may want to do is revbump and rebuild python-wx.
>
> This is fair enough. However, I was unable to build wxPython against the
> already-installed system version of wxWidgets, as that isn't how it was
> intended to be compiled, and it would require large changes to the
> pre-existing packaging.

Most of that has already been figured out in our python-wx package.
Looking at Fedora, it looks like we just need to add their wxPython-
3.0.2.0-suppress-version-mismatch-warning.patch and wxPython-3.0.2.0-
fix-wxcairo.patch and we'll be in sync.

> How about I instead ignore the wxwidgets packages built this way? This
> will result in long build times as per the pre-existing packaging, but
> there will probably not be much need to re-build this.

No, that's just bound to cause problems.

> > Do NOT drop this patch.  You might be aligned now, but as soon as
> > gcc/libstdc++ get updated, the mismatch will reoccur, and programs will
> > unnecessarily fail again.
> Okay, I shall re-instate it and re-build.
> > > The few remaining wxGTK* patches:
> > > - No longer apply without error and don't seem to be needed with the
> > > newer wxwidgets version.
> > Patches were added for a reason; if you don't understand what they do
> > and why they're there, then you should be asking why rather than
> > dismissing them.  In the case of Gentoo's collision patch, this is
> > needed to support parallel installations of X.Y versions of wxWidgets.
> > The updated patch is named wxGTK-3.0.5-collision.patch.
> >
> Good to know, I will attempt to find updated patches. Is there an online
> repository where they are held? I will go back through the other patches
> which did not apply and attempt to find replacements/ask what they do.

Look forward to the follow up.

BTW, did you have any plans to figure out wxPython4?

--
Yaakov