git repositories for cygwin packaging - please test

Achim Gratz Stromeko@nexgo.de
Fri Aug 7 19:42:17 GMT 2020

Jon Turney writes:
> One problem I have noticed is that some packages have test suites
> (which are getting run via 'cygport test' invoking src_test()) which:
>
> - require lots of extra dependencies to run, or

I currently subsume these in BUILD_REQUIRES as they are indeed required
for a (complete) build.  It'd be possible to split them out into a
separate variable indeed, but that is yet another level of
specificatrion that needs to be figured out if it should become useful.

> - don't succeed on Cygwin, or

Any such tests I usually patch out or mark expected fail whichever seems
easier.

> - take an inordinate amount of time to run (exceeding the resource limits)

That is a problem that comes with CI I think and we didn't really have
had to consider so far.  I have a few packages that I don't run tests on
by default because the test suite produces hangs or other unstable
behaviour, but that is dealt with in the src_test function itself.
If there are really resource hungry tests they usually need to be
enabled somewhere and one could skip those if the build runs on CIm (how
to find that out?).

> So I'm wondering if .cygport files need:
>
> - an annotation to indicate tests shouldn't be run by this system (in
> RESTRICT? or somewhere new?)

Not RESTRICT please, that does things related to packaging.

> - a separate TEST_REQUIRES to list packages which depended on for
> running tests?

That seems the most prudent name in this case.

Regards,
Achim.