Optimising cygwin fork performance

Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty hamishmb@live.co.uk
Wed Dec 16 12:13:58 GMT 2020

Hi,

So I know it's been mentioned a lot that fork is slow on Cygwin, but
compared to other people's machines, eg when building, it seems way
slower for me.

First I'd like to know if there's a good way to measure this that anyone
has found, because I'm not sure how to measure it. If I print multiple
lines with echo in a script, I can see it printing maybe 2-3 a second -
it's very slow.

I think this might be because I'm using a Virtual Machine with
VirtualBox, and QEMU/KVM might be quicker. I'm using Avira Antivurus,
with exceptions for the cygwin install folders (C:\cygwin64, C:\cygwin).

It might be nice if we could so some comparisons so I can figure out
what's wrong.

Hamish