About the opam package

Wed Jul 15 01:43:09 GMT 2020

On 2020-07-14 17:17, Sora Morimoto wrote:
> Hi everyone. I am a developer involved in the development of the OCaml ecosystem.
> First of all, I am not yet used to using a mailing list as a method of
> communication. I believe I have done enough research before coming here, but I
> apologize in advance if I make any mistakes.
> Now, I wanted to help with the maintenance of the opam package for Cygwin,
> but after reading the documentation I still do not know what to do.
> Specifically, I do not even know where the build script source is, and where
> to send the patch.
> Can someone please teach me?

Using the Cygwin Setup program, install:

* cygport package

  - standard method for building and maintaining packages for the Cygwin
    distribution
  - similar to Gentoo Portage but not compatible with it
  - Setup will auto-install all required build tools which are its dependencies

* any ocaml-... packages you need

* Opam

* possibly Opam-installer

and check the Install sources checkbox on that/those latter.
The sources are normally installed under /usr/src/ IIRC.

To rebuild a package build using cygport, cd into the /usr/src/$PKG (replace by
actual package name - use tab completion if your shell supports that) directory,
check the $PKG.cygport file to see if there are any extra build dependencies you
need to install before proceeding (REQUIRES are *runtime* dependencies
auto-installed by Setup when a package is installed).

To rebuild a cygport package (to check your setup includes all the tools and
libraries needed before making any changes) just run:

	$ cygport $PKG.cygport download all test

which will download the upstream sources, build and create an installable Cygwin
package, and run any tests included in the package.

For more information about cygport run:

	$ cygstart /usr/share/doc/cygport/html/manual/index.html

to open the manual in your default browser, or check out ocaml related entries:

	$ cygstart /usr/share/doc/cygport/html/manual/masterindex.html#O

[Data in IEC units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]