Packaging Perl

Achim Gratz Stromeko@nexgo.de
Wed Jun 3 10:23:36 GMT 2020

I'm in the process of getting the next maintenance update for Perl-5.30
ready.  I'm trying to prepare for the inevitable major update (that will
not be binary compatible, so requires a complete repackaging of all
dependencies again) some time later.  I was planning to use the newly
available PROVIDES in cygport to have the perl_base package provide
"perl530" as a synthetic package name.  Then I'll arrange to generate
all Perl distributions with a REQUIRES for "perl530".  Eventually we'll
need to come up with a way of generating that info automatically, but I
don't think there's any place yet in the installation where the PROVIDES
information gets installed, so cygport can not pick up on it currently.
What I'm unsure about is what happens when we actually upgrade Perl,
which means the new Perl will providse something like "perl532" and we
have a bunch of distributions that require the new "perl532" plus a
bunch of not-yet-updated packages that require "perl530" instead.  The
idea is that either the packages needing the old Perl need to get
de-installed or the upgrade has to be held off until every package has
got an upgrade to the newer Perl.  On GNU/Linux zypper would offer at
least two solutions to chose from in this case, but setup just picks one
of the solutions that libzypp offers and that may not be the one the
user favored.

Regards,
Achim.