[ITP] python36-wx 4.0.7.post2

Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty hamishmb@live.co.uk
Wed Jun 10 09:34:36 GMT 2020

On 09/06/2020 20:53, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:

> It is probably possible to build
>
> python36-wx and python37-wx together with the same source package.
> The only files of the binaries they seem to share are
>
> usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/PyCrust.png
> usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/PyCrust.png
>
> that can be put in a tiny shared common subpackage

Seems like a good idea, I'll do that.

> python38-wx will need python38-numpy that is not yet available.

Yeah. There's also a problem with the dev package I think, because
-lpython3.8m can't find the library, and python3.8m doesn't seem to
exist as a command. I might just be being a doofus though so I'll double
check that I installed the right packages.
> Maybe it is also possible to build python27-wx, but I doubt is is worth
> the effort as we should move faster on python3.8

Yeah, I was more concerned about getting a really well-working wxPython
3.0 build for Python 2. Also I think the combo of wxPython 4 and Python
2 is probably uncommon so yeah I agree, better off focusing on Python 3.8.

My only question is that PYTHON3_SITELIB seems to only point to 3.6's
site packages folder. Any way I can override this or should I just
hardcode "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages" in my cygport file?

> Questions:
> - why 4.0.7.post2 and not 4.1.0 ?

Because 4.1.0 requires wxWidgets 3.1.x, which is not currently in
Cygwin, and I have used wxPython 4.0.x a lot and can verify that it
works well.

Having said that, I fully intend to update it to wxPython 4.1.x sometime
soon, it's just that 4.0.x is what I've spent ages debugging so I'd like
to get a working build out for that first.

> - have you a BUILD_REQUIRES list ?
> just to avoid a try loop to test my idea

Actually no but that's a good idea. I'll do that too.

Thanks,

Hamish