Putting packages up for adoption

Yaakov Selkowitz yselkowitz@cygwin.com
Fri Mar 20 19:22:20 GMT 2020

On Fri, 2020-03-20 at 18:32 +0100, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps writes:
> > I am planning to update all the packages left behind
> > by the Perl update
> > (Except if Achim is interested in them)
>
> I can take them unless they pull in a huge stack of dependencies I don't
> already have anyway.  Again I think that rules out the Gtk/Gnome stuff.
> I know next to nothing about Wx, I think the dependency chain is
> manageable, but I haven't looked at what testing the distribution
> entails.  I think I have built SGMLSpm in the past locally, I have to
> check.

Wx is a binding on wxWidgets3.0, which is GTK+ based, so if you don't
want Gtk2 et al you probably don't want that either.

SGMLSpm is standalone and straight-forward.

> > perl-GD	                 Already Updated
> > perl-Glib		 already built
> >
> > perl-Alien-wxWidgets
> > perl-Cairo
> > perl-Cairo-GObject
> > perl-GStreamer1
> > perl-Glib-Object-Introspection
> > perl-Gnome2
> > perl-Gnome2-Canvas
> > perl-Gnome2-GConf
> > perl-Gnome2-Rsvg
> > perl-Gnome2-VFS
> > perl-Gnome2-Vte
> > perl-Gnome2-Wnck
> > perl-Gtk2
> > perl-Gtk2-GladeXML
> > perl-Gtk2-Notify
> > perl-Gtk2-SourceView2
> > perl-Gtk2-Spell
> > perl-Gtk2-Unique
> > perl-Gtk2-WebKit
> > perl-Gtk3
> > perl-Pango
> > perl-SGMLSpm
> > perl-Wx
> >
> > perl-Win32-GUI	   Do we need it ?
>
> The last time we tried to drop it there was a complaint IIRC.  I have no
> idea if it still works, I thihnk it needs a few pretty invasive patches
> (from memory, which may be wrong).  I have built myself before, but then
> it broke and Yaakov made it work again so I'm not really sure what to do
> about it.  It doesn't really fit in with what Cygwin tries to do (IIRC
> it comes from Strawberry Perl, which is Windows native).

I'd have to go back and look as to why it was wanted/needed.  I'd say
if it still builds and works with my changes, then ship it, if not,
either let someone else pick it up, or drop it.

--
Yaakov