Python - plan & execution

Yaakov Selkowitz yselkowitz@cygwin.com
Mon May 25 23:45:12 GMT 2020

On Mon, 2020-05-25 at 06:52 +0200, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 27.04.2020 16:34, Jon Turney wrote:

> > > These are fine as is, but they also don't need to be rebuilt or updated
> > > any more.

> > > We don't need to _obsolete or remove python3[67]-* packages, we just
> > > need to track how many don't have python38-* equivalents yet.
> > > Obviously that's still the vast majority, since 3.8 just got updated to
> > > a stable version.
> > >
> > > Jon Turney, if a python-foo source package was previously building e.g.
> > > python27-foo, python36-foo, and python37-foo, and now starts building
> > > only python37-foo and python38-foo, is calm going to complain?
> >
> > Yes, currently it will complain about that ("install packages from
> > source package '...' have non-unique current versions")
> >
> > calm is currently smart enough to exclude old soversions from that
> > check, so I guess perhaps that it needs to be taught about python27 as
> > well.
> >

> there will be several cases to test;
> the first I am rebuilding is python-setuptools
> and it seems there are half of the packages to drop in 46.4.0
>

> python-setuptools	python27-setuptools   drop

I'd like to suggest you make two updates to setuptools, one to the last
version which supports 2.7 with all Pythons enabled, and then to the
latest version, dropping 2.7.

> python-setuptools	python35-setuptools   drop

3.5 is still supported upstream and by latest setuptools, why drop
this?

> python-setuptools	python36-setuptools
> python-setuptools	python37-setuptools
> python-setuptools	python38-setuptools

No change here, as expected.

> python-setuptools	python-setuptools-wheel  drop
>
> on python-setuptools-wheel, this file is not build/installed anymore
>
> usr/share/python-wheels/setuptools-41.2.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
>
> so I guess it was Py2 only

No; since setuptools dropped Py2 support, they must have stopped
declaring 'universal' compatibility, so the wheel would now be just
'py3' instead of 'py2.py3'.  You don't want to drop this package,
because it is used by (patched) python3Y venv as well as by python3Y-
virtualenv.

OTOH, since the latest setuptools won't work with python27, then
python27 and python27-virtualenv shouldn't use python-setuptools-wheel
anymore.  I'd have to look further into the best way to handle that.

--
Yaakov