git repositories for cygwin packaging - please test

Achim Gratz Stromeko@nexgo.de
Tue Nov 17 19:21:21 GMT 2020

Brian Inglis writes:
> Could anyone please check and advise if the attached .git/config will
> allow me to push to the playground repo and later branch for testing,
> or demo the appropriate .git/config entries or git config commands to
> do so properly?

I usually define my own repo schemes in the global (user) Git config:

[url "ssh://sourceware.org/git/"]
        pushInsteadOf = cygwin:
[url "ssh://cygwin@cygwin.com"]
        pushInsteadOf = git://cygwin.com
[url "git://cygwin.com/git/cygwin-packages"]
        InsteadOf = cygpack:
[url "ssh://cygwin@cygwin.com/git/cygwin-packages"]
        pushInsteadOf = cygpack:

which then enables me to address the repo  like this (each package is a
submodule in an umbrella repository:

[submodule "perl"]
        url = cygpack:/perl
        active = true

THis also works on the command line, so if I ever want to check out
something quickly it is a lot easier to type.  I never configure the
playground as a local branch, I've posted how to push to that branch and
remove it if and when you need it earlier.

> Is there any way to move tags to a later commit once pushed?

A tag is just a special commit, so as with all things Git: no, unless
you can rewrite history, i.e. force-push.  Just do not tag things you
haven't published.

> Finally are there other CI jobs.cgi?params=... other than id,
> e.g. jobs.cgi?by=Brian+Inglis?

Yes, that database is now large enough that filtering would be helpful.
Probably a case of SHTDI, PTC… :-)

Regards,
Achim.