[ITP] wget2

Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty hamishmb@live.co.uk
Mon Nov 30 14:51:01 GMT 2020

On 27/11/2020 18:28, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2020-11-27 10:57, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>>
>>>      https://repology.org/project/wget2/versions
>>>
>>> Thanks for help getting here and also the upstream folks!
>>>
>>> Please review wget2 repackaged into subpackages available under:
>>>
>>> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VVuC14KuB6uShm4FQL9BuXH0hpLYnIcJ?usp=sharing
>>>

>>> Appveyor CI playground repo wget2 jobs:
>>>
>>>      https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi?id=1308
>>>
>>> I have been dogfooding wget2 instead of wget in commands and cron jobs
>>> and it appears considerably faster, but does not support FTP or other
>>> protocols supported by curl or wget, and does not support wget
>>> --retr-symlinks=no option which retrieves symlink contents verbatim
>>> for analysis with readlink e.g. wget ...-latest... and see if it
>>> points to the previous or a newer version.
>>>
>>> For more compatibility info see:
>>>
>>>      https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/wikis/home
>>
>> I had a quick go on 32-bit Cygwin (figuring most people might try
>> 64-bit), and it seems to work fine and be quite quick. I haven't
>> compiled the package but I'll find time soon hopefully - it's small so I
>> guess it doesn't take long.
>
> Thanks - nearly 15min on Appveyor with all the library, devel, and
> debuginfo bits involved.

Okay, I get the following warnings:

configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --without-lzip

configure: WARNING: *** No working backend for plugin support found

It also reports that there is no HSTS support.

I also get a bunch of warnings (for both 32-bit and 64-bit Cygwin) like:

libtool: warning: '-no-install' is ignored for x86_64-pc-cygwin
libtool: warning: assuming '-no-fast-install' instead
libtool: warning: '-no-install' is ignored for x86_64-pc-cygwin
libtool: warning: '-no-install' is ignored for x86_64-pc-cygwin
libtool: warning: '-no-install' is ignored for x86_64-pc-cygwin
libtool: warning: assuming '-no-fast-install' instead
libtool: warning: assuming '-no-fast-install' instead
libtool: warning: assuming '-no-fast-install' instead

At the end of compilation.

I guess the first warning can be dealt with by removing the (obsolete?)
option, but I'm not sure about the others/if they need fixing. I think
HSTS might be useful to have though.

Finally, I also get a source patch for src/version-text.h even though I
didn't patch it - maybe there needs to be an exception for that file?

All the steps including installing, packaging, and running unit tests
work for me on both 32-bit and 64-bit Cygwin, so it's just the warnings
that I have concerns about really.

Hamish