perl 5.32

Achim Gratz Stromeko@nexgo.de
Sun Feb 7 12:04:53 GMT 2021

Achim Gratz writes:
> Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps writes:
>> $ cygport GraphicsMagick.cygport list | grep perl5
>> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.32/x86_64-cygwin-threads/Graphics/Magick.pm
>> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.32/x86_64-cygwin-threads/auto/Graphics/Magick/Magick.dll
>> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.32/x86_64-cygwin-threads/auto/Graphics/Magick/autosplit.ix
>>
>> generic perl scripts should only pull "perl_base"
>
> For Base packages, yes.  Otherwise it's a bit of a judgement call, but
> I'd rather tie a package to the Perl version it was tested with (you can
> always change the hint file later if you know it really doesn't need to
> be repackaged after an update).  You can't generally know in advance if
> that works or not with a later Perl version, especially now that there
> is talk about a version 7 that will most likely deprecate a number of
> features and make others the default.  Binary and feature compatibility
> is only guaranteed within one major version.

In case it wasn't clear, the patched cygport only injects the dependency
when a package touches one of the versioned perl directories, so the
cases we've been discussing still need manual intervention.  I think
that's more in line with how Cygwin deals with that sort of thing;
although in principle it could be changed to always inject a dependency
and suppressing it based on either manual intervention or automatic
determination (i.e. seeing that this is a Base package, in which case it
should probably warn).

Regards,
Achim.