Multiple version of Lua with alternatives

Lemures Lemniscati lemures.lemniscati@gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 04:18:08 GMT 2021

On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 19:15:38 +0900, Lemures Lemniscati
> On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 08:40:33 +0100, Achim Gratz
> > Lemures Lemniscati via Cygwin-apps writes:
> > > * A new source luarocks provides lua53- and lua54-luarocks.
> > >   They install rocks into an alternative tree /var/lib/lua-site/.
> >
> > That looks wrong to me, I'd have expected
> >
> > /usr/share/lua/luarocks
> >
> > or maybe /usr/local as a prefix depending on how much emphasis you want
> > to put on the user-installable part.  The /var/lib tree is for local
> > state information per FHS, not installed components.
>
> Thank you for review.
>
> I've fixed it, so that luarocks should install rocks into
> /usr/local, and updated packages [1].

I'm wondering again it would be better for luarock to install into /usr/local tree.

If we choose /usr/share/lua/luarocks as a tree root for luarocks,
the tree will be

/usr/share/lua/luarocks/bin
/usr/share/lua/luarocks/lib/lua/5.3
/usr/share/lua/luarocks/lib/lua/5.4
/usr/share/lua/luarocks/lib/luarocks/rocks-5.3/
/usr/share/lua/luarocks/lib/luarocks/rocks-5.4/
/usr/share/lua/luarocks/share/lua/5.3
/usr/share/lua/luarocks/share/lua/5.4

and if we choose /usr/local, the tree will be

/usr/local/bin
/usr/local/lib/lua/5.3
/usr/local/lib/lua/5.4
/usr/local/lib/luarocks/rocks-5.3/