python update status

Doug Henderson djndnbvg@gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 15:04:35 GMT 2021

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 at 21:13, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps <
cygwin-apps@cygwin.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am working on the next round of python pakages update.
>
> My highest priority update for Cygwin Python is for Python 3.9, followed
by a test version of Python 3.10 when the RC release appears.

I am writing all my code for Python 3.9 so without a Cygwin Python 3.9, I
have lost the ability to test my apps with Cygwin. I write a lot of console
apps, some Flask sites and a few Tkinter apps.

I have the Python 3.10 alpha release installed on Win10 to check for
breaking changes. I have PYTHINDEVMODE permanently set in my environment,
as the overhead is not noticeable.

I have absolutely no desire to run Python 2 code.

I use "python -m pip ..." to install third party extensions, both pure
Python and those requiring compilation. When this fails, I notify the
maintainer or offer a fix to help improve the package's portability.

I don't find the Cygwin packages built from pure Python packages to be of
much value, unless they track the latest upstream updates very closely. As
a result, I find that I end up with a lot of incomplete Cygwin Python
packages where I have updated the package using pip. I'm retired now, but I
always asked for local admin or sudo for the 20 odd years when I was a
contractor.

Doug

--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - from gmail.com