python update status

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 15:50:52 GMT 2021

On 11.01.2021 16:04, Doug Henderson via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 at 21:13, Marco Atzeri via  wrote:
>

>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am working on the next round of python pakages update.
>>
> My highest priority update for Cygwin Python is for Python 3.9, followed
> by a test version of Python 3.10 when the RC release appears.
>
> I am writing all my code for Python 3.9 so without a Cygwin Python 3.9, I
> have lost the ability to test my apps with Cygwin. I write a lot of console
> apps, some Flask sites and a few Tkinter apps.

Hi Doug,

3.9 can be added

> I have the Python 3.10 alpha release installed on Win10 to check for
> breaking changes. I have PYTHINDEVMODE permanently set in my environment,
> as the overhead is not noticeable.
>
> I have absolutely no desire to run Python 2 code.

neither I, but we have a lot of code still around that need
to be moved to 3.X

https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2021-January/040897.html
and it is not the only one.

Only recently I succeded to build postgresql with Python 3.x
but the solution I found is very puzzling

https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin/2021-January/247211.html

As seems you have more experiance than me with Python,
can you look on it ?

All the ARCH packages seem affected. I am more or less patching
all the ARCH source packages to overcome the problem but it seems
to me more a workaround than a real understanding of why

    __declspec(dllexport)

is not working as expected for Python modules.

Regards
Marco