python 2 check & cleaning

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Mon Jan 18 18:25:48 GMT 2021

On 1/18/2021 12:33 AM, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> the current python test packages remove the link python->python2.7
> and replace with an alternative appraouch.
>
> Before making the switch, I would like to review the packages that could be
> broken, so I looked at all packages, not in "python*-*" form,
> that pull one of the "python", "python2" and "python27" using
>
>     $ cygcheck-dep -O -S -q -n python..
>
> as base.
>
> There are almost 200 binary packages
> (of the almost 9000 currently present on 64 bit)
>
> The list with source package and maintainer is here:
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xaPzIZ78JzHtJXcdzB77qJoeNlvVQRJq/view?usp=sharing
>
> I know that Mercurial need rebuild, and I assume the same
> for subversion (that I plan to adopt).
>
> Could you please check your packages if they will work with
> preferred python3.8 ?
>
> Texlive and fontforge seem the most urgent, IMHO, for a verification.

I think TeX Live should be fine.  All of the python scripts provided by the
texlive-collection-* packages are identical across platforms, so any python3
incompatibilities would almost certainly have been reported and fixed by now.  I
think all I have to do is rebuild the collections that contain python scripts to
make sure I pick up the latest versions of the upstream packages, and also to
let cygport update the dependencies.  I can do that quickly as soon as cygport
is ready for the new system.

My other package listed in your spreadsheet, bzr-fastimport, is of very low
priority.  It can be dealt with when and if bzr is updated.  Since there hasn't
been an upstream bzr release in 5 years, updating bzr might simply be a matter
of changing the shebang in /usr/bin/bzr to specify python2.  But that's up to Jari.

Ken