[alternatives] building an app that uses gettext

Sun Jul 18 15:21:57 GMT 2021

On 2021-07-17 19:47, Doug Henderson via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> HI,
> I have not previously built an app that uses gettext. The relevant
> parts of the  makefile are:
>
> VERSION = 1.16
> CFLAGS = -g -Wall -D_GNU_SOURCE
> LDFLAGS += -g
>
> alternatives: alternatives.o
>
> alternatives.o: alternatives.c
>      $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -DVERSION=\"$(VERSION)\" -c alternatives.c
>
> I am getting many
>
> /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/10/../../../../x86_64-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
> /usr/src/alternatives-1.16-1.src/alternatives-1.16-1.x86_64/build/alternatives.c:1389:
> undefined reference to `libintl_gettext'
>
> messages while linking.
>
> I have installed the gettext-devel and libgettextpo-devel and
> libintl-devel packages, but I can't seem to properly rewrite the
> CFLAGS or LDFLAGS despite several attempts.
>
> Can someone recommend a simple cygwin package that uses gettext and
> the cygintl-8.dll

Look under /usr/share/locale/ for possibilities.
Search for packages with contents there using

	$ cygcheck -p usr/share/locale/
or

	https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?arch=x86_64&grep=usr%2Fshare%2Flocale%2F

The best known are probably bash, coreutils, and mintty, or any editors,
but I would suggest attr for size.