OpenSSL package updates

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Sun Nov 7 11:39:14 GMT 2021

On 07/11/2021 09:44, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin-apps writes:
>
> I have no problem with that idea as long as the previous packages can be
> reinstated for inspection if necessary.
>
>> In a second step the dependencies in the below packages could be changed
>> to require the mingw-libopenssl100 package.  At least that would be
>> better for bookkeeping.  Does that require manual intervention on the
>> server?  I'm not sure, Jon would know this better.
>
> Yes, all the hint files would need to get edited.

Stop!

We don't put the soversion into cross-package names.

I don't think we are the only distro to do that.

I don't think it makes any sense to do so, as there's no executables in
other cross-packages which use that shared library.

Any user cross-built executables will need to be rebuilt after this
update (and the names of any shared libraries distributed with the
cross-built executable updated)

I get that this is trying to avoid having to rebuild all the dependent
cross-packages right now, but they need to be rebuilt eventually, and
making stuff more complex just for that temporarily state doesn't seem
useful.