Unable to push to cygutils git repo on sourceware

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Tue Sep 14 17:42:07 GMT 2021

On 07/09/2021 04:46, Mark Geisert wrote:
> Something's likely changed in the 4 years since I last did this :-).
>
> $ git push
> fatal: remote error: service not enabled: /git/cygwin-cygutils.git
>
> $ cat .git/config
> [core]
>          # blah elided
> [remote "origin"]
>          url = git://sourceware.org/git/cygwin-cygutils.git
>          fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
> [branch "master"]
>          remote = origin
>          merge = refs/heads/master
>
> I tried cygwin.com in place of sourceware.org but no change.  Have the
> repositories moved or the access policies changed?
> Thanks for any leads,

So, to answer the question actually asked:

* While there have been some changes, this specific URL still works.
(However, the published path nowadays is /git/cygwin-apps/cygutils.git)

* We've never supported pushing using the git:// protocol (since this
protocol doesn't do any authorization, pushes with a it are very rarely
enabled)

* So you perhaps explicitly did a "git push
ssh://username@cygwin.com/git/cygwin-apps/cygutils.git" last time you
pushed changes?

* Since git supports configuring a separate push url, I'd suggest
something like:

git clone git://cygwin.com/git/cygwin-apps/cygutils.git
git remote set-url origin --push
ssh://username@cygwin.com/git/cygwin-apps/cygutils.git

I find this convenient (especially when working with remote repositories
to which other people will push changes), since it lets you pull without
authenticating, but still push with appropriate authentication.

I've amended https://sourceware.org/cygwin-apps/ to include that
suggestion and hopefully clarify things.