autorebase and user-installed dynamic objects

ASSI Stromeko@nexgo.de
Mon Sep 20 05:58:47 GMT 2021

Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps writes:
> 1. Modify rebaseall and rebaselst to recognize 'eln' as a suffix and
> to recognize the standard directory where emacs will install the
> system-wide .eln files (corresponding to the preloaded libraries).

That would be which directory?

> 2. Create a script /usr/bin/rebaselst_usr similar to rebaselst, with a
> few modifications:
>
> a) All files are in the user's home directory:
>
> l=${HOME}/.config/rebase
> b=${HOME}/.cache/rebase
> db=${l}/dynpath.d

…and there is this knotty problem.  The user has one home directory, but
she might be using many different hosts and both Cygwin architectures.
The rebase information is host and architecture specific.  I have no
good solution for that yet and I don't know if XDG provides for that
situation.  Things might have to go into /var/run/user or some similar
location instead.  Note that the architecture dependence of eln (or
really build dependence on a particular Emacs config if you want to be
precise) already is a problem for Emacs in general and I haven't paid
attention as to how they intend to solve that.

Regards,
Achim.