How does a package become orphaned? (was Re: Attn maintainer: python-paramiko)

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Thu Dec 1 19:41:37 GMT 2022

On 17/11/2022 10:24, Libor Ukropec wrote:
> Dne 16.11.2022 v 12:52 Thomas Wolff napsal(a):
>>
>>> What I do not want to do is the violent take over, so I gave some
>>> time to the original owner of the python-paramiko to respond. I
>>> created a bug on  github.com almost 2 weeks ago and so far no
>>> reaction: https://github.com/wildmichael/cygwin/issues/1
>> As a general comment, I'd like to point out that "almost 2 weeks" is
>> even less than someone's holiday time may be...
>
> See above in the thread - author did not react here on cygwin for
> months. What I did, I've found the author on GitHub and contacted him
> there as well.
>
>  >>Jon Turney: It's undefined how many times we should ping, or how long
> we should wait for a response, but I think that the ~10 months that's
> elapsed here is more than enough!

Yeah, 10 months is not 2 weeks.

Libor, I've given you maintainer-ship of python-paramiko.

If that's not what the desired outcome here, please let me know.

Sorry for taking so long over this.

I guess somebody should ping Michael Wild to ask about the rest of his
packages.

>>> the cygport is executing in "src_test" some python tests that in the
>>> end requires some python packages not available as cygwin packages
>>> (typing_extensions, mock, pytest-mock, may be others).
>>>
>>> So should I
>>> a) remove the test? (this is not my preference)
>>> or
>>> b) specify/execute in the cygport `pip3 install pkg1 pkg2 ...` - I'd
>>> expect that executing any stuff in the cygport is not allowed (and I
>>> do not want to trigger 'misuse alarm')
>
> Any advice to this?

I think BUILD_REQUIRES should include any src_test requirements.

I'll try to document that more clearly.

>>> and additional question - how do I execute scallywag "before" the ITA
>>> is approved and git repo created? Can/should I use 'playground'
>>> branch for another package that I already maintain?
>>>
>>> I do not see guide on cygwin.com is explaining this.
> and this?

You can always use the 'playground' repository for any tests or experiments.