[Bug] setup regression #2

Achim Gratz Stromeko@nexgo.de
Thu Dec 1 19:50:50 GMT 2022

Christian Franke writes:
> Anything installed with "All Users" option should IMO be protected
> against modifications by any regular non-elevated user.

Yes.

> This is not the case if the RID=513 group ("HOST\None",
> "DOMAIN\Domain-Users") is used. Many upstream projects install
> directories and files with permissions like 0664, 0775, 0660 or
> 0770. This is safe when the group is "root". On current Cygwin, all
> users have R/W access regardless of the "other" permission bits.

Correct.  That's why I was hoping I could use a dedicated group (either
local or domain depending the install) for "Cygwin Administrators".

> Using the administrators group as discussed here would solve this but
> apparently introduces interesting new permission problems with some
> packages. Could these possibly be solved by the maintainers of the
> affected packages?

The problem is not the Administrators group per se AFAICT, but the change
from a different group to another mid-flight.  If the group could be
specified as alluded to above, I can keep the "wrong" group for existing
installs until I get around to fix their group ownership and ensure that
any new installs can be administered by whatever group of people will be
responsible for keeping things running smoothly.

Regards,
Achim.