cygclass python-wheel setup.cfg-only projects

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Sun Dec 11 13:58:44 GMT 2022

On 06/12/2022 00:20, Libor Ukropec via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> Dne 04.12.2022 v 15:55 Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps napsal(a):
>>>
>>> In a very quick bit of research, it' seems the modern equivalent
>>> would be something like 'python -m build --wheel', but we don't seem
>>> to have a python-build package?
>>
>> The other alternative seems to be 'pip wheel'
>>
>> Attached is a cygport patch which uses that for the setup.py-less case.
>>
>> (possibly we could use it in all cases, but I'm being conservative
>> with this change)
>>
>>> I'm not very familiar with the evolving state of python packaging, so
>>> I think I may need a bit of help getting this right!
>
> Hi Jon,
>
> definitely you did not need a help - I did a test on python-fasteners

[...]

Well, I'm not quite so confident.  Just because it works for one module,
doesn't mean I've got it right.

But this change seems pretty low-impact since it should only change the
behaviour for setup.py-less modules, which can't build at all presently,
so I included it in cygport 0.35.5

> Success :)
>
> So I confirm it works at least for this one use case.

Thanks for testing.