Go or Rust Packages?

Mark Geisert mark@maxrnd.com
Fri Feb 4 08:14:01 GMT 2022

Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2022-02-02 02:44, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Feb  1 21:22, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
>>> The upstream fzf package moved from Ruby to Go some time ago.  I had
>>> vague but noble intetions to try to maintain a fork on the basis of the
>>> last version of the Ruby code, but never managed anything useful.  In
>>> that context, I expect it's time that I officially throw in the towel,
>>> and mark fzf as orphaned.
>>>
>>> The existing build still works, and I don't think there's likely to be
>>> any crass security problems or anything like that.  But there's no
>>> longer any upstream support, and I clearly don't have the capacity to
>>> properly maintain it solo.
>>>
>>> I'm not quite sure what the process is here, but I suspect it's just a
>>> case of someone with the appropriate access making an update to
>>> https://cygwin.com/cygwin-pkg-maint
>
> Anyone know of anyone trying to build Go or Rust on Cygwin?
I made some progress with Go on Cygwin a couple years ago, but had to give up
because it required more time than I could give it.  I got about 1/3 of the way
through it.  The last straw was its need for syscall?() and Cygwin not having
those functions (or a need for them).  It was a lot of looking for "#ifdef
Windows" and usually adding "&& !defined(__CYGWIN__)".  The goal still tantalizes
though...

I don't think anybody has mentioned a need for Rust on Cygwin before.  That might
be easier because of a simpler runtime than Go, but still a major, major project.

..mark