fuse

Mark Geisert mark@maxrnd.com
Mon Jan 10 06:00:24 GMT 2022

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Wolff wrote:
> What became of the winfsp-fuse project discussed in July 2016?
> I'd like to be able to use ftpfs or sshfs in cygwin.

Integration of the project into Cygwin stalled around that time, or was it 2018?
ISTR there was an objection from the Dokany FUSE project about whether WinFSP FUSE
should be the basis for Cygwin's implementation.  I tried to mollify that by
implementing a poor-man's plugin feature that would allow a user to select which
underlying FUSE layer to use.  I believe I was waiting for confirmation from
Dokany that they could work with that plugin architecture.

I think it was my ITP for libfuse that prompted the discussion with Dokany.  In
any case the ITP was never acted on and the project has since languished.  WinFSP
itself has been improved over time; I don't know if the improvements would require
an update to the Cygwin portion.

I would love to have somebody interested in trying out FUSE on Cygwin.  If you
require a cygfuse package I guess the first step for that would be for me to
reissue the ITP and make the package real.  Another alternative would be for you
to build from the Github repo https://github.com/mgeisert/cygfuse if you're
feeling adventurous.

..mark