[ITA] ocaml 4.14.0

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Sat Jul 16 14:22:21 GMT 2022

On 13/07/2022 16:41, David Allsopp wrote:

>> 3) Interesting - on my machine, the camlheader[di] files had the .exe
>> extensions. I did some digging around and found the files are *built*
>> without  the .exe suffix, and even *initially installed* without the .exe
>> suffix, but  ultimately come out with the .exe suffix. I ran cyport in
>> debug mode and apparently the files are being renamed with the suffix
>> post-install:
>>
>> + case "${exe##*/}" in
>> + mv usr/lib/ocaml/camlheaderd usr/lib/ocaml/camlheaderd.exe
>> + exe+=.exe
>>
>> and did a little more digging and I think these lines in cygport are the
>> cause:
>> https://github.com/cygwin/cygport/blob/096f27644bd3b28f29d7522e816bebd327c
>> f24cb/lib/src_postinst.cygpart#L1010

Yeah, that seems plausible, but I'm not clear why we are seeing
different behaviour...

>> On the topic of "testing more thoroughly", I attempted to use
>> ocamlc to compile a simple program and it fails with "Cannot find
>> file camlheader" but works when I remove the ".exe", so it seems
>> that the presence of the .exe suffixes breaks the compiler. Is
>> there a way to prevent cygport from adding it?
>
> The camlheader files are data files and definitely mustn't be
> installed with a .exe extension (nor do they need to be executable).

I'm confused here: /usr/lib/ocaml/camlheaderd[di] look like executables
(according to file etc.)

If they genuinely aren't, then perhaps they shouldn't have execute
permission (which is I think what is causing them to be caught by that
piece of code in cygport...)