[ANNOUNCEMENT] Test: grep 3.8 - promotion to current stable

Achim Gratz Stromeko@nexgo.de
Thu Nov 3 18:31:27 GMT 2022

Brian Inglis writes:
> Suggest that I could come up with a package grep-nowarn which can only
> suppress the [ef]grep warnings, where the package would install
> [ef]grep-nowarn, and the postinstall script could rename the
> distributed shell scripts to [ef]grep-warn, and install alternatives
> with -warn priority 10, -nowarn priority 20; preremove would reverse
> the process.
>
> Suggestions to accommodate -nowarn from grep package postinstall?
> I could supply the same postinstall and preremove as -nowarn to check
> for -nowarn and install or uninstall the alternative.
>
> Sequence or timing issues to watch out for during postinstall/preremove?

As Corinna already said, why GNU suddenly cares so much about strict
POSIX conformance in this case is puzzling.  If anything they should
have left the decision to packagers and IMNHO the warning should only be
presented when POSIXLY_CORRECT is set in the environment, if at all.
The patch to the wrapper script(s) in question is trivial and several
Linux distributions have removed the warning already (if you do this,
also change the interpreter from bash to dash).  Just skip any
extra packages and do the same.

Regards,
Achim.