[ITP] rsync 3.2.6

Chad Dougherty crd@acm.org
Thu Oct 6 18:20:34 GMT 2022

On 2022-10-06 13:24, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> "no iconv" concerns me; I'm not desperately familiar with how iconv
> works, but I believe that'll potentially cause issues for rsync users
> who aren't using ASCII.  I'd guess the issue is your build environment
> is missing a relevant build-time dependency, probably libiconv or
> libiconv-devel.

Yeah, come to think of it that one also stuck out to me after I sent the
mail.  I've updated my cygport and associated artifacts to include those
dependencies:
https://github.com/crd477/cygports/tree/main/rsync

Here's an update diff of the features and capabilities, reformatted and
sorted for easier comparison:
crd@x13:~/src/cygports/rsync$ diff -b old.txt new.txt
1,2c1,2
< rsync  version 3.2.4dev  protocol version 31
< Copyright (C) 1996-2020 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
---
 > rsync  version 3.2.6  protocol version 31
 > Copyright (C) 1996-2022 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
13a14,15
 >  crtimes
 >  hardlink-symlinks
17d18
<  no crtimes
19c20
<  optional protect-args
---
 >  optional secluded-args
27,28c28,30
<  no SIMD
<  asm
---
 >  no SIMD-roll
 >  no asm-MD5
 >  no asm-roll

I think the diffs after "19c20" above should be safe to ignore as the
release notes explain them:
" - Renamed configure's `--enable-simd` option to `--enable-roll-simd`
and added
    the option `--enable-roll-asm` to use the new asm version of the
code.  Both
    are x86_64/amd64 only.

  - Renamed configure's `--enable-asm` option to `--enable-md5-asm` to avoid
    confusion with the asm option for the rolling checksum.  It is also
honored
    even when openssl crypto is in use.  This allows: normal MD4 & MD5,
normal
    MD4 + asm MD5, openssl MD4 & MD5, or openssl MD4 + asm MD5 depending
on the
    configure options selected.

  - Made SIMD & asm configure checks default to "no" on non-Linux hosts
due to
    various reports of problems on NetBSD & macOS hosts.  These were also
    tweaked to allow enabling the feature on a host_cpu of amd64 (was only
    allowed on x86_64 before)."

Thanks...

--
     -Chad