[WITHDRAW] Re: [ITP] x265 (3.5)

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis@Shaw.ca
Sun Feb 5 17:19:53 GMT 2023

On 2023-02-05 01:39, Takashi Yano via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 19:35:47 +0900
> Takashi Yano wrote:
>> I would like to propose new package x265, which is
>> a H265 video codec library. This is needed by ffmpeg
>> package I have proposed at the same time. I guess
>> this package will not used by other packages than
>> ffmpeg, so only the static library is provided by
>> this package.
>>
>> I already prepared the package at the following
>> location.
>>
>> https://tyan0.yr32.net/cygwin/x86_64/release/x265/
>
> I would like to withdraw this ITP because it does not
> seem to align cygwin package policy. This package is
> not ported for fedora due to some reasons.
> https://cygwin.com/packaging-contributors-guide.html#submitting

These packages are now GPL and available from Debian main repo, *BSD ports,
OpenSuSE, and Slack, so maybe there used to be issues with non-relocatable
non-PIC assembler code, patents that expired/lapsed, VideoLan, or alternative
commercial licensing, for example no commercial use restrictions?
Many codecs like these can be installed on Fedora, etc. from RPMfusion repos.

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis			Calgary, Alberta, Canada

La perfection est atteinte			Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter	not when there is no more to add
mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer	but when there is no more to cut
			-- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry