[ITP] faad2 (2.8.8)

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis@Shaw.ca
Mon Feb 6 05:04:04 GMT 2023

On 2023-02-05 19:46, Yaakov Selkowitz via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On Fri, 2023-01-20 at 19:36 +0900, Takashi Yano via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> I would like to propose a new package FAAD2 which is
>> a decoder library for AAC audio codec. This package
>> is needed by the new package moc I have proposed at
>> the same time. I have already prepared the package at:
>>
>> https://tyan0.yr32.net/cygwin/x86_64/release/faad2/
>
> Unfortunately, this cannot be included in the Cygwin distribution.

These packages are now GPL and available from Arch, Debian main repo, *BSD
ports, OpenSuSE, Slack, and more, so there may have been issues with
non-relocatable non-PIC assembler code, patents now expired/lapsed/challenged,
VideoLan or alternative commercial licensing, for example no commercial use
restrictions?
Many codecs like these can be installed on Fedora, etc. from RPMfusion,
UnitedRPMs, or other repos.
See e.g.
	https://repology.org/project/faad2/versions

https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/f/faad2/faad2_2.10.1-1_copyright

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis			Calgary, Alberta, Canada

La perfection est atteinte			Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter	not when there is no more to add
mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer	but when there is no more to cut
			-- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry