[ITP] openh264 (2.3.1)

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis@Shaw.ca
Mon Feb 6 05:11:09 GMT 2023

On 2023-02-05 19:44, Yaakov Selkowitz via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On Sun, 2023-02-05 at 17:37 +0900, Takashi Yano via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> I would like to propose new package openh264, which is
>> a H264 video codec library. This is needed by ffmpeg
>> package I had proposed, and also provided for ffmpeg-free
>> package in fedora.
>>
>> I already prepared the package at the following location.
>>
>> https://tyan0.yr32.net/cygwin/x86_64/release/openh264/

> Unfortunately, this cannot be included in the Cygwin distribution.  Cisco's
> patent license only covers binaries they distribute.  Fedora has a special
> arrangement with Cisco where they build their RPMs on Fedora infrastructure,
> but the packages are hosted by Cisco in a separate repository.

http://www.openh264.org/
"Cisco has taken their H.264 implementation, and open sourced it under BSD
license terms. Development and maintenance will be overseen by a board from
industry and the open source community. Furthermore, we have provided a binary
form suitable for inclusion in applications across a number of different
operating systems, and make this binary module available for download from the
Internet. We will not pass on our MPEG-LA licensing costs for this module, and
based on the current licensing environment, this will effectively make H.264
free for use on supported platforms."

http://blogs.cisco.com/collaboration/open-source-h-264-removes-barriers-webrtc

http://blogs.cisco.com/collaboration/open-source-h-264-removes-barriers-webrtc

https://github.com/cisco/openh264
"For Windows Builds
"make" must be installed. It is recommended to install the Cygwin and "make"
must be selected to be included in the installation. After the installation,
please add the Cygwin bin path to your PATH.
License
BSD, see LICENSE file for details."

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis			Calgary, Alberta, Canada

La perfection est atteinte			Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter	not when there is no more to add
mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer	but when there is no more to cut
			-- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry