Concerning Python patch 3.6.12-socketmodule.patch -- ping Marco

Mark Geisert mark@maxrnd.com
Sat Feb 11 06:41:35 GMT 2023

Hi Marco,
When I said "could you handle" I meant I would author the revised patch, test it
locally, and pass it on to you to integrate into the Cygwin Python packages.  Does
that sound workable to you?
Thank you,

..mark

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Concerning Python patch 3.6.12-socketmodule.patch
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 23:07:02 -0800
From: Mark Geisert <mark@maxrnd.com>
To: cygwin-apps@cygwin.com

Hi Marco,
Recently there's been a complaint about that patch on the Cygwin mailing list. The
patch was meant to allow same-machine communication between Cygwin Python programs
via an AF_UNIX socket.  The patch works because both ends of the connection are
Python programs that have the patch.

The problem reported by the user is that when a Python program attempts to
communicate with ssh-agent, the connection freezes.  This is due to the above
patch being applied only to the Python end (of course).

Given that we need the patch for Python build tests, could you handle an
environment variable setting to choose the behavior of the patch?
In other words. a revised patch would consult an environment variable
PYTHON_NET_DISABLE_CREDENTIALS to decide whether to do what the current patch
does.  I guess the pythonXX.cygport file would have to define that env var.

Does that sound like a workable scheme to you?
Thanks,

..mark