Heads up: Problems with parallel make

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Sun Feb 19 22:50:21 GMT 2023

On 2/16/2023 9:21 PM, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 2/16/2023 2:47 AM, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:

>>> The problems I reported with make 4.4 still exist in 4.4.0.90.
>>>
>>> Until someone can figure out why this happens, you might want to
>>> consider building make so that it doesn't default to using a FIFO for
>>> its jobserver.  I suggested to the make developers that they provide
>>> a configure option for this purpose.  If they don't do this, I think
>>> you could accomplish the same thing by configuring make with
>>> ac_cv_func_mkfifo=no.
>>>
>>> Ken
>>
>> version 2 uploaded.
>
> Thanks, Marco.  As expected, that fixes the problem for my test case
> (building TeX Live).  Obviously it would be better if the make
> developers would provide a configure option to use a pipe for the
> jobserver, but this is a good workaround if they don't.

Just to finish this off, there's now a new release candidate 4.4.0.91
for make, which makes the jobserver use a pipe by default on Cygwin.
You can override this default when building make by defining
JOBSERVER_USE_FIFO to 1, and you can override it when running make by
using the make option --jobserver-style=fifo.  But there's no longer a
need to build make with ac_cv_func_mkfifo=no, and there's no longer a
need to use --jobserver-style=pipe when running make.

I'm very impressed with how responsive the make developer (Paul Smith) was.

Ken