[ITP] libinih

Adam Dinwoodie adam@dinwoodie.org
Mon Jan 9 16:32:23 GMT 2023

As requested at [0], I've offered to package libinih for Cygwin.  It has
a BSD license[1] and is already packaged for a bunch of *nix distros,
including Fedora, Debian and Arch[2].

[0]: https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2023-January/252780.html
[1]: https://github.com/benhoyt/inih/blob/master/LICENSE.txt
[2]: https://repology.org/project/inih/versions

Provisional release packages are available at [3], and I've copied the
main .hint file below for reference.

[3]: https://github.com/me-and/Cygwin-inih/releases/tag/v56-1-rc1

~~~
category: Libs
requires: cygwin libgcc1 libstdc++6
sdesc: "Simple .ini file parser"
ldesc: "inih (INI Not Invented Here) is a simple .INI file parser written in C"
~~~

I've not maintained this sort of library before; I've defaulted to
including everything in a single package, but Lem suggested splitting
out a -devel package to contain the header files[4][5].  I don't think
it makes much difference either way -- the monolithic package is only
~16 KB compressed -- and it seems plenty of other Cygwin packages have
their header files in the same package as the runtime package, but I'd
appreciate thoughts from everyone else on what's thought to be best
practice these days...

[4]: https://github.com/me-and/Cygwin-inih/pull/1
[5]: https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2023-January/252791.html

Cheers,