chattr makes cygport slow

Andrew Schulman schulman.andrew@epa.gov
Thu Jul 6 12:19:10 GMT 2023

Recently I noticed that `cygport finish` has become really slow on some of my
package source trees. After I run for example

cygport libargp.cygport finish

it waits for about 5 minutes without any message to the console, before the
first "Removing work directory" message appears.

pstree shows that during this time cygport is waiting for chattr. In
/usr/bin/cygport I see:

if [ $OSTYPE = "cygwin" ]
then
    chattr -fR +C ${workdir} >/dev/null 2>&1 || true
fi

which is trying to make the workdir case-sensitive.

Whatever the advantages of that are, it can take a long time. Would it be
possible to skip it at least in the case of "finish"? It seems silly to spend
all that time fixing up a directory tree that we then turn around and remove
with rm -rf.

Thanks,
Andrew