xz upstream backdoor compromise (was: Cygwin: Linux xz issue)

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis@SystematicSW.ab.ca
Sat Mar 30 08:08:33 GMT 2024


On 2024-03-29 16:43, Ron Murray via Cygwin wrote:
> There is a serious security issue with xz (and liblzma) versions 5.6.0-1 and 
> 5.6.1-1. I note that cywin currently is suggesting an upgrade to 5.6.1-1, which 
> is unsafe. I've looked at the cygwin archives and I don't see a reference to 
> this: sorry if you're already aware of this issue.
> 
> References:
> https://www.cisa.gov/news-events/alerts/2024/03/29/reported-supply-chain-compromise-affecting-xz-utils-data-compression-library-cve-2024-3094
> https://access.redhat.com/security/cve/CVE-2024-3094
> https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2024-3094
> https://sysdig.com/blog/cve-2024-3094-detecting-the-sshd-backdoor-in-xz-utils/

	https://seclists.org/oss-sec/2024/q1/268

-- 
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis              Calgary, Alberta, Canada

La perfection est atteinte                   Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter  not when there is no more to add
mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer     but when there is no more to cut
                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry


More information about the Cygwin-apps mailing list