Japanese translation res.rc patch
Brian Inglis
Brian.Inglis@SystematicSW.ab.ca
Sun Oct 27 10:49:48 GMT 2024
Ya Takeda-san,
You may wish to consider installing Cygwin package po4a https://po4a.org/ which
does the same job under Cygwin.
See https://po4a.org/man/ or after installation read po4a(7) and po4a(1p):
msguntypot (1p) - update PO files when a typo is fixed in POT file
po4a (1p) - update both the PO files and translated documents in one shot
po4a (7) - framework to translate documentation and other materials
po4a-display-man (1) - display a translated man page according to a PO
po4a-display-pod (1) - display of a translated POD file according to a PO
po4a-gettextize (1p) - convert an original file (and its translation) to a PO file
po4a-normalize (1p) - normalize a documentation file by parsing it in po4a, and
writing it back
po4a-translate (1p) - convert a PO file back to documentation format
po4a-updatepo (1p) - update the translation (in PO format) of documentation
[Don't forget the blank space after '-- ' in your signature to allow stripping.]
Best wishes.
On 2024-10-26 22:33, 武田洋幸 via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> Sorry for the late submission. This is a patch from the latest repository.
>
> I also wanted to create the po/ja/res/po files,
> so I installed the Translate Toolkit on Ubuntu in WSL,
> but I didn't know how to use rc2po.
>
> I didn't know what a templete file was.
>
> Could you explain it briefly plese?
>
> 2024年10月22日(火) 16:36 武田洋幸 <leiqunni@gmail.com>:
>
>> Sorry. At first, I thought that the 8pt MS Dlg resource font was too small
>> in the Japanese environment, so I just changed it in res.rc and translated
>> it.
>>
>> I realized about the po file and the weblate project after I had finished
>> the work.
>>
>> I wrote a program in PHP to extract strings from res.rc, copied and pasted
>> it into Google Translate, translated it, and finally searched res.rc with
>> the original text as a key and replaced it with the translation.
>>
>> I later found out that I should prepare the Japanese po file myself. Thank
>> you for your work.
>>
>> I did this in a few hours (because it was copy and paste work), but it
>> seems like it would be a pain to use the mouse when working with weblate.
>> This time, I used a spreadsheet because I wanted the original text and the
>> translation to match line by line in TSV.
>>
>> I also knew about a software called poEdit that can be linked to the
>> Google Translate API, but I worked on it on impulse this time, so I'm
>> sorry...
>> I will follow the rules from next time.
>>
>> I also have some slightly revised resources that I will send to you within
>> 24 hours.
>>
>> 2024年10月21日(月) 2:51 Jon Turney <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>:
>>
>>> On 16/10/2024 20:59, 武田洋幸 via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> I created a Japanese translation of Cygwin Setup using res/ja/res.rc
>>>> without using Weblate.
>>>
>>> Thanks. I applied this.
>>>
>>> I was assuming you'd made a translation of the pot template in a local
>>> po file, and then generated the resource file, but it seems not.
>>>
>>> We should probably have some instructions on how that all works added to
>>> the README, but the idea is that, to avoid having to make coordinated
>>> changes in lots of translated resource files if we ever add/remove/move
>>> a control etc., the translation are stored in po files, and the 'po2rc'
>>> tool [1] is used to generate translated resource files, using the
>>> English resource file as a template.
>>>
>>> Anyhow, I used the reverse process to extract your translation to a po
>>> file, so this process can be used to generate the ja translated resource
>>> file in future.
>>>
>>> (I did a brief review to see if you'd made any adjustments to the dialog
>>> layouts to accommodate the size of the translated strings, but didn't
>>> find any. If there are any, can you make me aware of those, so we can
>>> adjust the template appropriately)
>>>
>>> I generated a test build, which can be found at:
>>>
>>> https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.932-28-gbbcd1d.x86_64.exe
>>>
>>> Please let know if there are any problems with that.
>>>
>>> Thanks again.
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/translate/translate
--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis Calgary, Alberta, Canada
La perfection est atteinte Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter not when there is no more to add
mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer but when there is no more to cut
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
More information about the Cygwin-apps
mailing list