Bash Prompt Here opening in Windows Console/Terminal on chere 1.4-3
Philippe Cloutier
chealer@gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 14:24:30 GMT 2026
Hi Vadim,
On 4/13/2026 7:27 PM, Vadim (vadcx) wrote:
> On 4/13/26 15:44, Philippe Cloutier wrote:
>
> chere is a very dumb script (-> opposite of smart). All it really does
> to add a context menu is achieved by writing a specific registry key. No
> understanding of what's there and no sanity checking. Quite fragile in
> my opinion (old code...).
>
> Therefore there's no reason to purge or reinstall anything. Either the
> registry entry is there or it is not.
I suppose you're not familiar with # apt purge;
https://kitson-consulting.co.uk/blog/apt-dpkg-purge-rc-packages
It's designed to not just remove a package, but the configuration it
created. chere is just a configuration script; if you just remove the
script, you're still left with any configuration it installed.
Reinstalling also doesn't help.
# apt purge; is designed to let you start from scratch, but I just
looked and I'm afraid Cygwin does not offer purging.
Thankfully, chere features -u, which allows to remove the entries
(undo). But as I reported, that's not helping.
> You can see what it wants to
> insert in the registry during "installation" with -p:
>
>> p - Print regtool commands to stdout rather than running them
> and then navigate there with regedit.exe to see for yourself.
Right (by the way, the synopsis does not document that switch).
> I didn't really touch any core logic in my patches and was very careful.
To be clear, I was not accusing you of causing any regression. All I am
saying is that I can't confirm patch 3/4 has any beneficial effect. I
hope it helps if one starts with 1.4-3, but from what I can see on a
system which started on 1.4-1, it leaves everything as it was,
regardless of what you do.
I can't afford to debug this myself, but if you want more information,
I'm available via Google Chat, Signal or WhatsApp (+1-418-945-2029) and
I can connect to Libera.Chat if you want.
More information about the Cygwin-apps
mailing list