Python 3.6 (and more?) removal
Jon Turney
jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Sun Jan 4 21:03:53 GMT 2026
On 01/04/2024 16:22, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 24/03/2024 17:46, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> On 24/03/2024 17:31, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>> On 24/03/2024 15:07, Jon Turney wrote:
>>>> On 24/09/2023 13:32, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>>>
>>>> I assume you are OK with the removal of python 3.5 (EOL Sept 2020)
>>>> and 3.6 (EOL Dec 2021)?
>>>>
>>>> (I'm still dealing with cleaning up the final pieces of python27
>>>> detritus, but these should hopefully be much smaller tasks)
>>>
>>> nothing should depend from 3.5
>>> not sure for 3.6
>>
>> I've automated some of the analysis I was doing for python2 packages
>> and the results are now available at [1].
>>
>> So yeah, it looks like nothing uses 3.5.
>
> I've removed some 3.4 detritus, and 3.5
>
[...]
>
>> There are just a couple of packages using 3.6, I guess I'll ping the
>> maintainers about those.
>>
>> [1] https://cygwin.com/packages/reports/python_rebuilds.html
>
> It looks like the situation with 3.6 is a bit more complex, as some
> things have a generic python3 dependency, rather than python36 as they
> should, so that report isn't complete.
>
> I have some tools to correct those dependencies, so the situation should
> become clearer after I run those...
Marco,
Well, I managed to reduce that list a bit before I forgot all about
that, but it still has a fair amount of stuff on it.
Probably time to move on doing the same for later python versions. I
guess to start with I'll make python36 unavailable for new
installations. Maybe also 37? and 38? If you think that's a good idea?
That might also help identify if there's anything on that list that's
actually being used.
More information about the Cygwin-apps
mailing list