python3-wx renamed to python-wx (was Re: python2 removal)

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Sat Sep 5 14:21:31 GMT 2026


On 11/04/2024 13:23, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 10/04/2024 20:19, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> On 19/01/2024 18:23, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>> On 18/01/2024 19:40, Jon Turney wrote:
>>>> On 18/01/2024 19:31, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
[...]
>>>>
>>>> Cc:ing Hamish as a note that if/when python3-wx is updated, we 
>>>> should see if it's now possible to rename the source package to 
>>>> python-wx.
>>>>
> [...]
>>>
>>> Okay, I'd be happy to try renaming the package to python-wx the next 
>>> time I update python3-wx.
>>>
> [...]
>>>
>> I realise I forgot to ask, but how could I go about renaming python3- 
>> wx to python-wx when I update? I also maintained python-wx, so I 
>> shouldn't need any extra permissions I don't think.

Since I was looking at python3 packages this week, I've gone ahead and 
made this change.

(which cleans up the last remaining python3-foo source package)

> Uh, yeah, this is made more complex as we had a 'python-wx' source 
> package (for the python2 bindings, now removed), and a separate 
> 'python3-wx' source package (for python3 bindings).
> 
> I guess what wants to happen is:
> 
> * (If you care about such things) Merge the python3-wx history into the 
> python-wx packaging git repo (git merge --allow-unrelated-histories 
> seems like it might be the right voodoo runes).

This seems like a bit of overkill, so I've simply created a 'python2'
branch in the python-wx repository with the last version of that, and 
then copied the main branch of python3-wx repository into the main 
branch there.

https://cygwin.com/cgit/cygwin-packages/python-wx/

> * Rename python3-wx.cygport to python-wx.cygport and update version or 
> bump release.

I've done this renaming.

All you should need to do is update the origin URL(s) for your local git 
repo

e.g. something like

git remote set-url origin git://cygwin.com/git/cygwin-packages/python-wx.git
git remote set-url origin --push 
ssh://cygwin.com/git/cygwin-packages/python-wx.git

>   * When it comes to uploading the rebuilt packages, there's 
> unfortunately (currently) a manual step involved (for me to) adjust the 
> "allegiance" of the 'python3n-wx' install packages from the 'python3-wx' 
> source package to 'python-wx', but I'll do that when needed (or maybe 
> even get around to automating it this time...)
  This adjustment should all be automatic now, but if there are errors 
the next time you upload python-wx packages, just scream at me to fix it! :)

(Note, this renaming only effects the source package name python3-wx -> 
python-wx, all the install packages retain the same names e.g. 
python3-wx-common, python3-wx-debuginfo, python3N-wx, so hopefully 
no-one else will even notice this change.)




More information about the Cygwin-apps mailing list