units python reqs

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis@SystematicSW.ab.ca
Sun Sep 6 21:20:12 GMT 2026


On 2026-09-06 04:39, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 05/09/2026 23:06, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> On 2026-09-05 13:38, Brian Inglis wrote:
>>> On 2026-09-05 11:04, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>>> On 04/09/2026 05:15, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>>> [...]
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi Jon,
>>>>>
>>>>> python39-nghttp2 nghttp2 1.51.0-1 vaulted also 1.46.0-1 - python no longer 
>>>>> built
>>>>>
>>>>> units_cur     units          always run from source - I can change #! to 
>>>>> python3 (already linked to 3.12 here) rather than explicit 3.9 or 3.12 to 
>>>>> avoid this in future?
>>>>
>>>> Yes, if it doesn't install anything into /usr/lib/python3.NN/site- packages/ 
>>>> (like this) packages which contain a python script can (usually) be made 
>>>> python- version neutral.
>>>>
>>>> (You could probably do this by dropping the inherit python3 and just 
>>>> configuring with PYTHON=python3)
>>>>
>>>> You might want to double check the dependencies, to make sure that python3 
>>>> and python3-requests are added, cygport might need some help with that.
>>>
>>> Thanks Jon,
>>>
>>> Timely hints, as I am having a problem dropping require: python312- requests, 
>>> as explicit REQUIRES with REQUIRES_EXCLUDE_FROM=.../site- packages/ seems to 
>>> have no effect with various deps_prune paths, so I will move onto the 
>>> playground branch, check in the current approach, drop the inherit and try 
>>> some more tweaks.
>>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I specify require python3-requests for desired generic match!
>> Problems with cygport deps & pkg list_deps always finding python312- requests 
>> despite exclusions.
>> See attached deps debug log and my recent GH Scallywag CI units playground jobs.
>> Any ideas other than renaming or blowing away the site-packages? ;^>
> 
> Uh, I'm not sure what you're trying to do here? REQUIRES_EXCLUDE_FROM lists 
> files *in your package* which shouldn't be considered for automatic dependency 
> detection. I shall tweak the documentation to make this clearer.

I was interpreting it in the (cygcheck-dep) sense of *search* paths for required 
components rather than skipping searching from the *needed* component for its 
required components.

> Excluding /usr/lib/python3.NN/site-packages when there are no files there isn't 
> going to do anything.

The python 3... requests modules are found there.

> This seems to work:
> 
>> REQUIRES="python3 python3-requests"
>> REQUIRES_EXCLUDE_FROM="usr/bin/units_cur"

Thanks Jon,

I will try excluding that end of searching for required components.

> (It's probably a bug in cygport that it can't handle this (rare) case 
> particularly well, but I'm not sure what to do about it...)

-- 
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis              Calgary, Alberta, Canada

La perfection est atteinte                   Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter  not when there is no more to add
mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retrancher  but when there is no more to cut
                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry


More information about the Cygwin-apps mailing list