Putting some packages up for adoption

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Mon Sep 14 16:44:12 GMT 2026


Thank you, Jon, same here.


________________________________
From: Jon Turney <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>
Sent: Monday, 14 September 2026 09:03:50
Cc: cygwin-apps@cygwin.com <cygwin-apps@cygwin.com>; Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu>; Andrew Schulman <andrex.e.schulman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Putting some packages up for adoption

On 10/09/2026 16:43, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 4/16/2025 3:59 PM, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> I am not able to spend as much time as I would like working on Cygwin,
>> and I therefore expect to be putting some of my packages up for
>> adoption over the next year or so.  I'll hang on to Emacs and TeX Live
>> and related packages for as long as possible.
>>
[...]
>
> I'm afraid the time has come when I have to give up the rest of my
> packages (list below).  All of these should be straightforward for
> someone else to adopt, with the exception of TeX Live (including
> asymptote and biber).  The easy part of this is building Cygwin binaries
> for upstream TeX Live.  The hard part is packaging TeX Live for Cygwin.
> I never got around to packaging TeX Live 2026, so the next task will be
> to package TeX Live 2027 early in 2027.  Between now and then I will
> write up my notes on this and post it here.
emacs maintainer since 2009! texlive maintainer since 2012! and the rest!

Somebody give this guy a beer! (or a virtual gold pocket watch)

> I've really enjoyed contributing to Cygwin over the years and regret
> that I can no longer do it.

Ken,

Thank you very much for all your efforts on Cygwin over the years.

It's been a pleasure working with you.


More information about the Cygwin-apps mailing list