[ITA] noto-emoji-fonts

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 03:02:00 GMT 2026


On 26/09/2026 02:54, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> Hi folks,
> 
> I would like to adopt the orphaned package noto-emoji-fonts and release 
> it updated with the noto-color-emoji font upgraded to Unicode 18 as of 
> 2026-09-10,
> and the  noto-emoji (monochrome) font as of the same date, but not yet 
> updated to the full current character glyphs repertoire, as more 
> discussion is probably required about designs of monochrome glyphs which 
> render well in small sizes.
> 
> I have some concerns mentioned in a previous email about how to deal 
> with fonts from google/fonts github repo, but have proceeded using 
> simple brute force for now, unless suggestions and discussions reveal a 
> better approach that I could use to adopt the large selection in the 
> massive Google fonts repo which includes the large selection in the 
> noto-fonts package.

You can choose selected fonts using the info on

https://github.com/fontsource/font-files
https://github.com/fontsource/font-files/blob/main/FONTLIST.json

> I have built, installed, and tested the emoji fonts on my own desktop, 
> not that I am a big emoji user in any, never mind Cygwin, apps, and run 
> clean build jobs under GH Scallywag CI.
> 
> I have issued an NMU for a test release, and added myself as maintainer 
> under cygwin-infa/pkg-maint/cygwin-pkg-maint for now, unless someone 
> else wants to look at taking over the Google Noto fonts?
> 

You have my blessing

Thanks
Marco



More information about the Cygwin-apps mailing list