19990805 Snapshot!!

Corinna Vinschen corinna@vinschen.de
Sat Aug 7 05:36:00 GMT 1999


Earnie Boyd wrote:
> Corinna, if you have Win9x and you also have created an /etc/passwd and
> /etc/group files will the ntsec code cause problems?

The code can't conflict with 9X because 9X doesn't have any security.
Moreover, ntsec is in general off on 9X systems.

> Further notes on the ntsec problem, in starting a second bash, I'm no longer
> the owner of the child process ( or so it appears ).  I can't kill it with the
> [...]

The described problem is not related to ntsec. I can reproduce it, too,
regardless of the setting of ntsec.

> NT4 sp3 Normal domain user.  I have no /etc/passwd and no /etc/group files.
> CYGWIN=notty binmode notitle.

As I mentioned often enough before: ntsec is really dependent on correct
installed /etc/passwd and /etc/group files. If you don't have it, create it.
Read winsup/doc/ntsec.sgml for more info.

Please, send the strace to Chris, too. Maybe, he finds sth.

I have made a tiny patch to ntsec which is related to the get_signal_mutex
problem, maybe, but since I can't reproduce your problem, I don't know.
I have send it to Chris and the mailing list as ntsec patch 10. Please,
try it, as far as it is published.

Regards,
Corinna




More information about the Cygwin-developers mailing list