How to find out if something has changed in the latest directory

Chris Faylor cgf@cygnus.com
Thu Apr 20 12:37:00 GMT 2000

On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 06:39:53PM +0200, Michael Ring wrote:
>On Thu, 20 Apr 2000 09:19:06 -0400, you wrote:
>

>>> Also the cygwin directory has changed and also tcltk.
>>
>>I changed the directory permissions, not the contents.
>>
>>> After browsing the list I did not find any clue to a new cygwin
>>> version and perhaps a clue that only the md5.sum was regenerated.
>>
>>Cygwin was not updated.
>
>unfortunetely the timestamp changed...

Actually, I did change cygwin to fix a bug that was noticed on the mailing
list.  Since this just involved a directory rename, I did not change the
name of the file.  In retrospect, I probably should have added a -1 to
the name or something.

>Don't get me wrong - I love the work you are doing, your tools have
>helped me out in 1000 problems, I would only like them to get even
>better and easier to use for a 'dummy' user.

Changing the directory date to monitor changes is not the way we want to
do things.

As we ramp up we will be making announcments when things change.  We're
not going to be doing it right now since we're still working out the
kinks.

Also, if I were you, I'd investigate the "-R" option to the ls command.