Two complaints about lack of massive setup.exe

Chris Faylor cgf@cygnus.com
Sat Apr 22 12:07:00 GMT 2000

On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 12:26:52PM -0700, Matt wrote:
>>We've had two complaints that people miss the old setup.exe that worked
>>"so well".
>>
>>It would be pretty trivial (thanks to Ron's excellent design) to have
>>the current setup.exe pull in all of the non-source tar files and
>>extract them.  It would be a huge binary, but if that's what people
>>what...
>
>I think we should keep it approximately the way it is, except maybe put
>all the packages in one subdir of /latest (like /latest/packages).
>This new scheme allows us to do some neat stuff later (like getting
>only updated packages).

I wasn't talking about supplanting the new method, I was offering
additional methods for downloading packages.

We could provide a packages and sources directory in latest which
just had symbolic links to the stuff in the subdirectories, I suppose.