Eliminating usr/i686-pc-cygwin

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Wed Jun 7 06:03:00 GMT 2000

--- Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:
> I've been perfecting my "mknetrel" script to the point where it is now
> easy to eliminate the i686-pc-cygwin directory.
>
> We've talked about doing this in the past and even, I think, decided that
> we would do this for the next net release but we never did this.
>
> I'm ready to make a cygwin release but I'd like to also make this change.
>
> I can think of a few ways to do this.
>
> 1) Setup.exe can issue a warning if it sees this directory, and do nothing.
> 2) Setup.exe can issue a warning, and move the directory out of the way.
> 3) Setup.exe can issue a warning, and remove the directory.
> 4) Setup.exe can do 2) or 3) and do a:  'ln -s usr i686-pc-cygwin'.

I like this plan.  I like option 3, this is what I used to do with the b20
directory structure.

What happens if for some reason a user has a file with a same name in
/usr/include?  You probably should warn about overwriting files and ask if a
backup has been performed.  This would make the need for backup obvious
although there is nothing we can do more.

Regards,

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >