Introducing slight binary incompatibility in newer executables?

DJ Delorie dj@delorie.com
Fri Jun 23 20:00:00 GMT 2000

I don't think this is any different than any other time we've added
functionality to the dll.  Every time we export a new function, we
create the opportunity for new programs to not work with old DLLs.
Aside from bug fixing, this is how we define "progress".

I don't see a problem with your proposed change.

However, watch out for the *library* compatibility stuff.  Don't
forget the ctype disaster.

> The error will be something like "entry point cygwin_user_data not
> found".

More likely, something like "Error loading program" or "program not
found".  Windows isn't very helpful with its error messages.  Or are
you using LoadLibrary to access this new function?